According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should first visit the orthodontist around age seven. This is simply a recommendation that works for most children, but when your child has a good mix both permanent teeth and baby teeth, it’s a good time for the orthodontist to properly evaluate their orthodontic needs. The sooner they’re diagnosed, the sooner your orthodontist can correct potential issues and help your child avoid surgery.
WHAT CAN EARLY TREATMENT DO?
- Guide permanent teeth into a straight position
- Help correct jaw issues
- Open up space for crowded teeth
- Make sure upper and lower arches are the correct width
- Prevent tooth extractions in the future
- Stop thumb sucking and improve minor speech problems
WHEN SHOULD CHILDREN SEE AN ORTHODONTIST?
For parents, it’s hard to tell if your child needs braces and orthodontic treatment. Watch for these signs that could indicate your child is ready to visit an orthodontist in Atlanta:
- Loosing baby teeth too early or too late
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Breathing only out of their mouth
- Sucking on thumb or fingers
- Crowding or misplaced teeth
- Noisy or popping jaws when opened and closed
- Inability to close teeth together
- Disproportionate jaw and teeth sizes compared to the face
- Crowding in front teeth as an adolescent
Our Any one of our Orthodontist office in Atlanta can help you determine if braces are right for your child. We’ll work around your schedule and make sure your appointments are convenient and time efficient. To schedule your complimentary National Orthodontics smile consultation today!